A “How to” Approach to Practicing with a Novice Driver
This is the most dangerous time in a young person’s life. It is essential that parents are equipped with information in order to make good decisions for their new driver and for their family.
When a novice driver is learning how to drive parents play a critical role in the driver training process. Even if you are working with an adult novice driver, the practice phase is a very important part of the process. For the “coach” it can be “scary” and for the new driver it can be “frustrating.” This class is designed to assist those who will be practicing with their new driver in their role as coach.
The course includes excerpts from a video on the teenage brain so that parents can better understand the brain development of adolescents and teens. Brain mapping indicates that the adolescent brain does not fully develop until the mid to late twenties. Instructors provide resources and advice on how to approach conversations and setting the ground rules from the beginning. We provide practical tips on how to go from driving in your neighborhood to driving on surface streets and highways.
How to Coach New Drivers Online Course
For parents or anyone that will be doing driving practice with the novice driver.
Specifically designed for parent or guardians of young drivers between the ages of 15 and 24.
This portion of the class is typically done in-house, however, due to COVID-19, we have temporarily made it available online. The purpose of this portion of the course is to provide parents or guardians with useful information about the topic of novice drivers in order to assist them in their decision making when getting ready to have a novice driver in the household. Below are the topics covered:
- Significant role of the parent/guardian/coach in the process of learning to drive
- Best practices in driving, how and what Driving MBA teaches and how to be the best coach possible for the novice driver
- The research and models used in developing the curriculum and assessing a student’s skills
- Importance of practicing the skills in between on-road lessons
- The fatality and injury statistics for young drivers
- Laws pertaining to novice drivers in the state of Arizona
- What to consider when putting a young driver on your insurance policy
Once this portion of the course is completed parents/guardians receive an e-mail with resources to aide in the practice with their novice driver.
Provides a practical guide through the practice driving, when, where, how and what to do in order to set your new driver up for success and how to properly coach them through each phase of the process.
DrivingMBA’s Director of Curriculum and Instruction covers the following topics with clear and precise explanations and video demonstrations as she is coaching a student through each of the different maneuvers. Below are the topic areas:
- How to set expectations and frame communication while practicing
- Vehicle Operation – preparing to drive, pre-drive checklists
- Where to begin and how to coach through turns, lane changes, lane choices
- Intermediate driving – how to move safely to more traffic situations
- Advanced driving – how to practice safely in more complex traffic situations
This course is designed to provide parents, guardians, anyone who is working with a novice driver practical tools and tips to properly coach, what to look for, how to stay ahead of the driver and practice safe coaching skills.
Currently Part ONE and Part Two are offered as on-line courses. This allows parents or anyone coaching a novice driver the flexibility to go through the course at their own pace. The objective is to prepare parents or anyone working with a novice driver for the task of practicing during the permit phase. No matter how old a person is, it takes months of training and practice to become proficient enough to navigate today’s roadways. This course is included in all of DrivingMBA’s programs and packages. Before January 2020, the course was called the Parent Class. It was done in a single 3 hour class. The course has been updated and in January 2020 we launched the 2 Part Coaching Program where Part ONE was done in a 2 hour class in-house and Part TWO is on-line. Below is a video featuring past class participants and what they had to say about the class: